The NextoDI NPS-10 is a portable standalone backup storage device. It can quickly copy and verify files from SD, microSD, CF, Cfast, XQD, or CFexpress cards (depending on the version device you get). It comes without internal drive, but accepts SATA SSDs and 2.5″ HDDs up to 7.2mm thick.
The NextoDI has been part of TVLogic for a while already. At this year’s NAB, they introduced their new compact standalone backup device NextoDI NPS-10. The device is already shipping since June 2019. We received one at the office for testing and decided to ask some additional questions about it during IBC in Amsterdam.
NextoDI NPS-10 Portable Backup Device
There are two SD card slots and a microSD card slot on the left side of every NPS-10. There is one more memory card slot at the top of the device and the exact type of the slot depends on the NPS-10 version. The device comes in three different versions – With XQD slot (which also supports CFexpress cards), a version with CF slot, or, with CFast card slot. At the bottom of the device, there is one USB-C slot and one USB-A slot.
NextoDI NPS-10 will not only copy the material from the inserted cards, but it is also able to verify them. There is an option to only copy the files quickly or to copy and verify them. When inserting the same card again, users can choose to only copy new files. That means the NPS-10 will automatically recognize which files have already been copied and skip them. This feature is intended to save time in the field.
NextoDI NPS-10 does not come with an SSD. Users are free to choose whichever size of the SSD they prefer the most. Right now, maximum capacity SATA SSDs available is 4TB, but the device supports much larger sizes. It supports traditional spinning 2.5″ SATA drives as well (with 7.2mm or less in height). Thanks to XCopy technology, copying speeds are very fast, especially when SSD is used.
The device comes with a protective rubber frame, which also provides a better grip. The rubber frame slightly differs in color depending on the exact model (exact card slot) used. Operating NextoDI NPS-10 is single-handed. There is only one wheel on the right side, which also acts as a button. With the help of scrolling, Short press, and Long press, users can navigate through the menu and use all the functions of the device.
NPS-10 also has a color LCD screen. It helps not only with menu navigation and monitoring the information given by the device but also with the status of the copying process. The screen can also show a preview of any stored video or photo. You can check supported formats in the specs list below.
Key specs of the NextoDI NPS-10:
- Display: 2.4″ 64K color LCD with 320×240 resolution
- Card support: 2x SD (UHS-II) slot, 1x MicroSD slot, 1x CF or CFast or XQD/CFexpress slot
- Storage: 2.5″ SATA drive with 7.2mm and less height
- File system: FAT32, exFAT, UDS, HFS+ (memory card)
- Video preview: DV, DVCPRO HD, MPEG2 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0, XF-AVC 2K/4K, AVCHD, H.264, AVC-Intra, XAVC 2K/4K, AVC Ultra 2K/4K, DNxHD 2K, ProRes 2K/4K
- Image codec: JPEG, TIFF, RAW (ARW,CR2, CR3, DNG, NEF, ORF, PEF, RAF,RWL, RM2, SRW
- Internal battery: Rechargeable Li-Pol 4,000mAh (3.7V) battery (3 hours charging = 2 hours X-Copy operating time)
- Power: Rechargeable via USB-C cable (with power bank or PC, output 2A or more)
- Computer interface: USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbit/s)
- OS compatibility: Windows XP (SP 2, 3 with exFAT patch upgrade), Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10, MacOS 10.6.5 or later, Linux 2.4.18 or later
- Dimensions: 129.5 x 77 x 25.3mm (5 x 3 x 0.99″)
- Weight: 200g (0.44 lbs) without internal drive
Price and Availability
The NextoDI NPS-10 has been available for a couple of months already, so most distributors should have it in stock now. The price is around €379 ($390) for every version. The only extra cost would be the SSD of choice.
What do you think of NextoDI NPS-10? Do you use this or similar device for file backup on location? Let us know in the comments underneath the article.
The post NextoDI NPS-10 – Portable Backup Device appeared first on cinema5D.