Today, Canon published the latest firmware updates for its EOS R and EOS RP camera systems. Firmware version 1.4.0 and firmware version 1.3.0 improve the autofocus capabilities fo the EOS R and EOS RP, respectively.
Below is the changelog for the firmware version 1.4.0 update for the Canon EOS R:
Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Enhances eye detection Auto Focus (AF) for improved face and eye recognition at greater distances.
2. Improved Auto Focus (AF) performance helps the camera to focus on and track smaller subjects.
3. Reduces lag time between the actual Auto Focus (AF) and the AF frame display for images in the viewfinder or on the LCD.
4. Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF frame size cannot be changed in the Servo AF setting.
5. Fixes PTP communication vulnerability.
The changelog for the firmware version 1.3.0 update for the Canon EOS RP reads the same with the exception of bullet point number four which instead reads:
Fixes a phenomenon in which main dial icon may not appear when magnify/reduce button is pressed during the image playback.
The two updates are currently available to download from Canon USA (EOS R, EOS RP).